Pages

Friday 11 October 2013

Recipe: Baked Enchiladas with a Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Coriander-Lime Chicken filling

I'm a Pinterest addict. I admit it freely. Those endless images of delicious recipes is like a drug to me... I can happily while an hour away pinning things onto my 'deliciousness' board. Sometimes I decide to actually make something from my board, and this is one of those times. But seriously, I need to remember to take photos of my recipes. This one was especially delicious, so I'm really annoyed at myself for not snapping as I cooked.

Recipe: Baked Enchiladas with a Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Coriander-Lime Chicken filling

I based the filling of my enchiladas off this recipe from food.com.

Sweet potato and black bean filling

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried thyme
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 onion, finely diced
1 red pepper (capsicum), diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained (I used black beans with chopped jalepenos)
Fresh coriander, chopped
Spring onions (scallions) chopped
Half a can of enchilada sauce (I used Las Palmas red sauce, medium)

Put everything into a large oven safe dish and mix around. Pour over half a can of enchilada sauce. Cover with foil and place into the oven (bake, 180 degrees Celsius) for 1.5 - 2 hours until it's all soft and mashable. Squash the sweet potato down with a fork a bit. Set aside and get to work on the chicken.





Coriander-Lime Chicken (this is a recipe by moi)

200 - 250 grams chicken tenderloins
1 tbsp Mexican seasoning
Chopped coriander to taste
The juice of 1/2 a lime
Enchilada sauce - aprox 1/4 - 1/3 cup (I used Las Palmas red sauce, medium)

Heat your fry pan and add a dash or a spray of oil. Add the chicken and allow to brown. Sprinkle some of the mexican seasoning on the chicken. Turn when brown on underside and continue to cook. Add a splash of the enchilada sauce and the coriander. Squeeze half a lime over the chicken. Remove from the heat and shred / chop into smaller pieces.

Assemble the enchiladas

Tortillas
Sour cream (I used light)
Enchilada sauce

Take a tortilla and place a generous amount of the sweet potato filling in the middle, top with a few pieces of the chicken and roll up. Place into a large oven safe dish. Repeat until you either have no more tortillas or no more space in your dish! I reached no more space but still had some filling and tortillas left so I made some to put in the freezer. My dish held 6 enchiladas.

Finally I poured the remainder of the enchilada sauce into a jug and added a cup of light sour cream. I gave these a good mix together and poured the lot over the rolled enchiladas in the dish, spreading it around to ensure the top was covered. I covered the dish with foil and placed into the oven, which was preheated to fan bake at 200 degrees Celsius. I cooked the dish for 20 minutes and then removed the foil and cooked for a further 20 minutes uncovered.

Here is a picture of enchiladas I didn't make, but look a lot like the ones I did (minus the salsa)




This is yummy alone or would also be delicious with some salsa or salad on the side. My husband really enjoyed the left overs for lunch the next day. You can top the enchiladas with cheese if you want to, but I decided mine didn't need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment